Moving to the EU?

If you want to become a permanent resident in a country of the EU.

Different countries in the European Union have different standards when it comes to those wanting to become residents. Residents are seen in most EU countries as long-term residents (those who want to stay permanently) and non-permanent residents (those who wish to stay for several years, for grad school or for a job, for example). In many cases, those who are seeking to move to a country within the European Union will have a much easier time dealing with immigration services if they hire an immigration attorney.

The current EU member countries (not necessarily those that share the same currency) that have an immigration policy include nearly every country in Western Europe spanning toward the East. A list of EU countries and their individual immigration policies can easily be found online. While hiring an immigration attorney is not required when applying to stay in the EU, the amount of bureaucracy a single individual or family would have to go through is often too demanding to handle alone. If individuals or families are lucky enough to be invited by a multinational company, however, much of the immigration process is taken care of by the hiring firm. For those applying to work or to go to school, however, the process can be daunting.

Most countries in the EU require non-EU citizens to apply for separate visas for long term stay. Specifically, these are work permits and resident permits. Resident permits almost always have to be rewarded before a work permit can be applied for except for very specific and very special situations. There are also laws that bar companies in the EU from hiring non-EU citizens unless they can prove they have given a certain amount of interviews to EU nationals and that based on those interactions, the company still feels none of the interviewees are qualified for a vacancy. As the rules get more complex, more people are turning to immigration attorneys in the EU that can help them make a smooth transition to European life.

Some EU countries offer alternatives to individuals from specific countries that make immigration much easier. The Netherlands, for example, continue to ratify the Dutch-American Friendship Treaty, a policy by which Holland will make special exception for Americans wishing to move to The Netherlands if they can sustain a business at a given level of net profit per year. These businesses are subject to Dutch laws and tax percentages, but if sustained for a certain period of time, Americans can then apply for a Dutch passport and become a citizen of the EU. This policy was enacted specifically for American citizens due to the assistance to the Dutch government during and after World War II. As a result, The Netherlands continues to be one of the United States’ closest allies in global affairs.
Overall, those seeking to move to the EU as a resident or student should consult with various professionals who are experienced in the transition. This will help those seeking a life in Europe much easier and much more attainable.